Fall is a great time to start getting into birding and is very easy to attract autumn birds with our simple tips! A lot of people don’t realize how early fall migration actually starts. August through October are the peak months, although migration does continue into December for some species, especially the shorter-distance birds. There is a common misconception that feeding or attracting birds during the migratory season will interrupt their migration, which in fact will not. So don’t be concerned!
Use these great tips for the perfect fall birding season:
- Offer nutritious fall foods such as: sunflower seeds, nuts, peanut butter and suet
- Start winterizing your bird houses (see winter tips below)
- Ignore your leaves and build a brush pile for an instant shelter
(Source: Willard & May, Photo Credit: Stephanie Osiecki)
Winter is just right around the corner and while you’re doing your fall clean up outside, keep those bird houses out there! Birds suffer when the temperatures turn colder, but with the help of your bird houses, they can survive even the coldest nights and storms!
Check out our tips for winter birding:
- Position the bird houses and shelters towards the most sunlight to take in more heat
- Provide insulating materials in houses and shelters, add more perches to accommodate more birds
- Prune in the spring rather than the fall so that the birds can take advantage of extra insulating spaces that cover throughout the winter
By providing shelter for backyard birds you will attract a wide range of species that will visit year-round. We have some great options at Willard & May to choose from, to protect the birds in your neighborhood!
You can find these styles of bird houses and many others at willardandmay.com [1.Bird Villas, 2. Nesting Box A Frame, 3. Copper Roof Bird House, 4. Sea Grass Nesting Pocket, 5. Sparrow Apartment Building]
We would love to hear from you, let us know what you use to help protect the birds in your neighborhood!